We want to bring pianos to the people and music to the street. Now go play outside!
About The Project
Support Piano is an initiative whose main aim is to change the world through the power of music… or at least Metro Vancouver… Here’s how we plan to do it:
- July 1st, CityStudio will launch 10 pianos at various open-air locations throughout Vancouver. Learn more about CityStudio’s project.
- July 8th, we will launch our Surrey piano at PARKit’s summertime pop-up park in the parking lot of the North Surrey Recreation Centre (10275 City Parkway) next to Surrey Central SkyTrain.
- July 14th, we will launch our Jewish Community Centre piano at the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver. Over 100 children will paint the piano between 11:15 AM and 2:30 PM.
- July 29th to August 6th, a grand piano will be placed in front of The Independent building at the corner of Kingsway and Broadway, where it is set to be decorated by renowned graffiti artist, Milan Basic. It will be placed in Squamish for the Squamish Music Festival from August 6th to 10th.
- Everyone who passes by our instruments is encouraged to stop and play—be they young or old, a musical prodigy or brand new to the experience of playing a piano.
- For the first time ever, we are hosting a competition with cash prizes or a chance to play with the North Shore Symphony for 2015! Simply record yourself on your smartphone playing one of our pianos and upload the video to the Support Piano Facebook page. We’ll select the top videos to place on our website, supportpiano.com, check back for updates!
- The competition has 2 components:
- ONLINE. We have several categories for judging and they’re all viewers’ choice. The videos that have the most likes on Facebook will win. (for more information on competition categories and prizes available, see the contest details).
- OFFLINE. If you want to be considered for a chance to play with the North Shore Symphony in 2015, upload your video to our Facebook page. Our judges will pick the best videos (for more information, see the contest details).
A select few winners in the above categories will then get the chance to audition in front of Clyde Mitchell, Founding Conductor and Music Director of the Lions Gate Sinfonia and the new Lions Gate Youth Orchestra, for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play with the North Shore Symphony! Judging will take place in the fall. Well what are you waiting for? Go get practicing!
Interact and upload your own pictures and videos to our Facebook page. Find out more about our contest for submissions. Make sure you like the Support Piano facebook page and tag everything with #supportpiano!
7 View on Facebook Grouse Mountain Resort
The kids from Little Mountain Out of School Care wrapped up their paint-job on the mountain-top piano today. Come on out and give it a play, or better still, hear someone play for you!
3 View on Facebook Paul • Vancouver
Paul • Just Launched: Play the Pianos on the Street and Win $400.00 Upload Video Contest